The IPTC-Fields (incorporated in the header of every JPEG file) are the only source of textual information for the databank (or for any other photo databank). Furthermore, the function of the databank ist based on a precise reading of the texts in the IPTC-Fields.
1. Headline• max. 256 characters
• Image title
• max. 2.000 characters
• The place to write all the important details: date, place, full text (a precise description of the picture), [Credit, Bank details.] etc. Our experience shows that many users make layout prints of pictures to help their decision-making, or to store for later use. In such prints, very often only the caption field is printed alongside the image. Please be sure to enclose your "personal-details" in square brackets (as in the following example). Information in such brackets is ignored by the caption-search. This prevents all pictures being found which include your bank details, when "bank" is entered as a search-word.
The caption structure is divided into three sections: It is possible to supply texts for each picture for both the English-language pages and for a second language, simultaneously, without both texts appearing later in each online display. This is done by dividing the caption into three sections:
1. Individual language section 2. English section 3.Personal details section
The sections must be devided by a vertical slash: “|“ (Macintosh = “alt 7“). The third section will appear later in both the English and the second language presentations.
Frankfurt/Main, DEU, 24.03.2000: Portrait von Ernst Weltecke, Vorstandsvorsitzender der Deutschen Bundesbank, in seinem Buero. | Frankfurt/Main, DEU, 24.03.2000; Portrait of Ernst Weltecke, Chairman of the German Bundesbank (federal bank), in his office. | [© James Smith, Tel. 0044 12345 6789, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; publication only for due fees, photo credit and proof copy; Bank Acc: Smith Bank, IBAN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, BIC: xxxxxxxxx]
• max. 2.000 characters
• max. 24 characters per keyword
• instead of compounded keywords (e.g. science fiction writer), please use single words separated by commas (e.g. science, fiction, writer)
4. Photographer• max. 128 characters
• Photographer’s name and/or agency
5. Agency Name (Credit)• max. 128 characters
• name of photographer and/or name of agency: „John Doe/Agency XY“
6. Date taken
• Either use the format given by the system or the following spelling: JJJJTTMM.
Please note: You have to indicate the shooting date, not the date processed nor the date the image is imported.
The Fotofinder databank displays the search results chronologically according to the date in this field. Therefore please use dates (i.e.00.00.99), even if the exact date is not known. Furthermore, this must be the date the picture was shot NOT the date of scanning, uploading or suchlike.
7. Country• max. 128 characters
• Complete country name(s)
• optional: ISO Code
8. City• max. 128 characters
9. special instructions• max. 512 characters
• further information related to the image that will be shown in the continous text appearing with the thumbnail (e.g. usage rights, country rights, etc.)
10. reference (original transmission reference)
• max. 32 characters
• Additional restrictions / rights
• All special restrictions and rights-codes - such as country or object restrictions - have to be written into this field (ask for our list). Other formal search criteria, such as "portrait" or "landscape" also belong in this field. This field should only be filled in using our special codes.
You have questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us, we will help.
Monday - Friday
9am - 6pm (GMT + 1)
Tel.: +49 (0)30 2579 2890